Concave Mirrors - Section 14B
1. In Alaska, the top of Mount McKinley has been seen from the top of Mount Sanford, a distance of 370 km. An object is 3.70 x102 km from agiant concave mirror. If the focal length of the mirror is 2.50 x102 km what are the object distance and the magnification?
2. A human hair is about 80.0 m m thick. If one uses a concave mirror with a focal length of 2.50 cm and obtains an image of -59.0 cm, how far has the hair been placed from the mirror? What is the magnification of the hair?
3. A mature blue whale may have a length of 28.0 m. How far from a concave mirror with a focal length of 30.0 m must a 7.00-m-long baby blue whale be placed to get a real image the size of a mature blue whale?
4. In 1950 in Seattle, Washington, there was a Christmas tree 67.4 m tall. How far from a concave mirror having a radius of curvature equal to 12.0 m must a person 1.69 m tall stand to form a virtual image equal to the height of the tree? Will the image be upright or inverted?
5. A stalagmite that is 32 m tall can be found in a cave in Slovakia. If a concave mirror with a focal length of 120 m is placed 180 m from this stalagmite, how far from the mirror will the image form? What is the size of the image? Is it upright or inverted? real or virtual?
6. The eye of the Atlantic giant squid has a diameter of 5.00 x102 mm. If the eye is viewed in a concave mirror with a radius of curvature equal to the diameter of the eye and the eye is 1.000 x103 mm from the mirror, how far is the image from the mirror? What is the size of the image? Is the image real or virtual?
7. Quick Bird is the first commercial satellite designed for forming high-resolution images of objects on Earth. Suppose the satellite is 1.00 x 102 km above the ground and uses a concave mirror to form a primary image of a 1.00 m object. If the image size is 4.00 m m and the image is inverted, what is the mirror’s radius of curvature?
8. A stalactite with a length of 10.0 m was found in Brazil. If the stalactite is placed 18.0 m in front of a concave mirror, a real image 24.0 m tall is formed. Calculate the mirror’s radius of curvature.